Thinking of running an event? CLICK HERE
An event every week that begins at 5:00pm on Sunday, repeating indefinitely
Contact Improvisation is based on the physical exploration of how the body moves through its own intelligence and how two or more bodies in contact with each other can move together. A dance that fine tunes your senses and wakes up your ability to listen and respond to what is happening in the moment. Sometimes wild and athletic, sometimes quiet and meditative, and all levels in between. It is a form open to all bodies and inquiring minds. These Sunday sessions are run and taught by a community of contact dancers. Classes are open to all levels and generally led by a different teacher each week. If you are new to the form and want to find out more before you come, please contact the teacher of the class you intend to come to, or write to the general email address below. Details are regularly updated to our website and sent out to our mailing list (see below).
The jam is an open event without a teacher. Participants are responsible for their own safety and wellbeing in the jam. Take care to be alert and sensitive to yourself and others. The organisers cannot accept responsibility or liability for injury. There is often a musician accompanying us at the jams.
Warm-up Class: 5pm – 6.30pm Jam: 6.30pm – 8.00pm Price: £6 for the class or the jam, £9 for both
Check out Bristol CI’s website, contactdance.co.uk, for updates and a detailed schedule. You can also join our mailing list via the website.
– Contact Improvisation DanceMake friends with gravity, with the Earth and with flow.
– Come to understand the intelligence of your skin, muscles and bones.
– Experience and know the Authentic dances and impulses of your own body.
– Give your weight lovingly to the floor and to other dancers.
– Learn to follow, to listen, and to allow for improvisation to move through you and through the dance itself.
– Become skillful, playful, graceful and safe in magical and deeply human movement.
– Learn how to relate to other humans in simple, tactile, loving ways.